Skip to main content

Posts

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty Four

Meet Pizazz! He's my first custom on the mini Brishon mold.

If you've worked in pastels you know that the color evolves from light to dark, so a bay might look like a palomino for the first layer or two, then maybe a chestnut before it becomes bay. And sometimes plans change. This boy was one of those models. I had a sandy bay sabino reference photo in front of me, but I changed course when his body color hit on claybank dun.

I have a soft spot for claybank duns. My first job as a teenager was as "Hack Staff" at Camp Seven Hills, a Girl Scout Summer Camp in Holland, New York. That summer a big quarter horse mare named Dolly was one of the horses in my care. She was blind in one eye and had a mare-y attitude. She was the most beautiful warm dun color with a red mane and tail. I spent the summer doting on her and hoping she felt loved.

So, long story short, Pizazz isn't bay.

This mold is a joy with all his playful swagger and wild hair. But I feel that his fine bui…
Recent posts

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Three

I hope all of you are safe and healthy, and I hope the model horse hobby is filling your time at home with a little joy.

I've been working on finishing models that I've been meaning to get to for months or years. This is one of two models that I purchased to paint. She is a Hagen-Renaker Shetland foal. She is a little smaller than most Stablemate foals so she was a fun challenge to paint... plus she put a little "mini" into "custom minis."

Meet Cupcake, a pintaloosa Miniature Horse filly!

She's a baby silver dapple with both an blanket and pinto markings.

QHICK TIP: Prepping china models for cold-painting is quite easy.

This one came on a paper card. I carefully tore the paper away, then soaked her in rubbing alcohol. The glue on her feet rubbed off.

Next, I filled any air-holes with epoxy. When that is cured (about 24-hours), I washed the model with soap and water. I let mine air dry so I don't get fuzzies from a towel on them.

Then I sprayed with …

Hooves on the Table Please (Part 2)

Ahh, models whose hooves are supposed to be flat on the table... I talked about how I like my models to stand well in a previous post--using a table-height view and sandpaper. But then I looked closer at a few works in progress and found a model or two where I used different techniques.
The first model that came up was the Breyer standing pony. She has four tiny hooves that try to touch the table, but depending on the model, they don't always succeed. Part of this is physics. A three-legged stool will be stable, whereas a four-legged one will wobble. Another issue the pony has is that her toes can be a little rounded over.
I didn't want to use my sandpaper technique on this model because I didn't want to lose too much hoof in the process. (And this model's feet are carved out, which gives them a little space to add epoxy.)

So I added a small ball of epoxy to each foot. Then I placed her on a flat surface. I use old gift cards, but a scrap of paper or saran-wrap on a …

NaMoPaiMo Challenge (And One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Two)

I finished my NaMoPaiMo 2020 horse with a day to spare. He is an American Cream Draft Horse so I was working with a light golden coat color with mottled skin and amber eyes.



I hadn't planned on four socks, but sometimes with pastels the color doesn't do what you want. His hind pasterns had gotten darker than I wanted. So four socks it was. This ended up being more like my reference, Joker's Golden Boy.

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty

Do you remember when the Valegro and Andalusian Stablemate models hit the shelves? It was the summer of 2016 and I had just discovered a new location of a small toy store chain in Boise... so I had to go in! I bought three of each model. I started customizing them that week. This one's tail sort of fell off in my hand so it went on to find a new home and this one had a new tail sculpted.

Long story short, he sat around for years in plain white primer. Then with this personal challenge of actually finishing the models I started, I got him out of his pony pouch. I knew the real Valegro looks great in bay, I chose to paint him bay as well.

New Stablemate Molds 2020

There are two new Stablemate foal molds found in the Mystery Unicorn Surprise A and C sets. One is cantering with her head and tail up. This older filly has a sturdy build. I’m thinking she’ll make nice Warmblood and draft cross customs.

The second new foal is in a playful pose. She is younger and smaller. She is a pearly pale blue that turns to pink. She seems to be lacking the detail found in other SM foals. For customizers, she might make a nice light breed or pony foal.



One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-One

I finishedAnnalisa, a dark bay thoroughbred mare, about a month ago but wasn't able to take her photo. Even with the sun yesterday she wanted to catch the breeze and topple over... so I just have one shot of her out with the mares.

Annalisa is a simple custom from the new walking thoroughbred mold. She's got big mare-y hooves and a softened mare-y face with a star.

I usually use white primer on my models, but for her rich coloring I sprang for the red primer.