Skip to main content

Posts

Showing posts from April, 2020

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Five

I have been remiss on posting finished models for my personal challenge of finishing one hundred models (instead of starting something new.) As you may have noticed, I’ve started a new model with wire mesh as part of the mane and tail... so many wonderful horsey distractions!
Meet Encore! He is a custom from the G3 rearing Andalusian. This is one of two models in a bow that started with this mold. I found the mold a little tricky to work with because of his pose. When tamed into a new pose, however, he’s quite the sweetie!

Encore has been on my workbench for about five years. My friend, Karen Prescott, began two bowing models at the same time and they were completed a long time ago.


I chose bay roan for this guy, a color that can be painted many ways with many mediums. I chose a pastel base coat and pastel pencils. I purchased two brands and ended up using them both because they dulled quickly. I drew on many tiny hairs, then sprayed with Testors Dull Coat, and repeated the process. …

Sculpting with Wire Mesh

I hope everyone is safe and healthy during these difficult times. I’m saddened that we won’t be gathering for spring live shows and this summer’s Breyerfest. I’m going to miss getting together with amazing friends in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky. Until things change, thanks to everyone sharing their corner of the hobby world online!

I needed a creative jolt to get me out of a quarantine funk, so I opened up my package of sculpting mesh. My victim is a Paralympic Driving horse that will become a Fjord custom. Harald, my previous Fjord, is from the same mold. His mane was a challenge for me because of the upright nature of it... so the contour mesh.


First, I cut a slot along the crest. This will hold the mesh in place. Then I cut a piece of mesh to fit. I left plenty of extra that I will trim and shape later. Scissors cut the mesh just fine, but please be careful of sharp edges and scraps.
I then superglued the mesh in place.
With a sharpie, I marked how long I wanted it to be (from bas…