Skip to main content

Paperclips for Structure Under Epoxy


Hello and happy summer! I chose not to go to Breyerfest this year, so I’m home working on more custom minis for my show string and sales list. I’ve got a variety of models in progress and they all need a little structure for one reason or another: a forelock that will be free from the face, new ears, tailbones, tail swaps, a mane swap, a peg for a base, and my least favorite—repairing a leg. For these situations, I’m using paper clips!
Paperclip for a forelock

New ears and tail

Mane swap

Tail swap with two pins

fixing a broken leg

Paperclip and small drill bit
First, I found a drill bit that was the same size as the small-sized paperclips. I’m using a Drexel tool, but keep in mind that a drill or hand-drill would also work. The big thing here is to hold/secure your models in a safe way so you don’t drill your fingers (ouch!). Wrapping the model in a towel and placing it in a small vice is a good choice.

Second I drilled the holes, often cleaning the plastic off the drill bit in between. To do this I heated the plastic with my embossing tool/heat gun and then eased it off with an Exacto knife. (Careful not to touch hot things like the drill bit and to work pointing away from myself.)
Plastic melted onto drill bit needs to be cleaned up.
Third, I tested all the holes and the way the pieces of mane or tail fit together. With a pair of wire cutters or needlenose pliers, I cut the clips to size. Safety glasses are great for this step in case bits of wire fly away. For a tailbone or ears, I save the exact sizing/trimming for later.

Then broke out my super glue. I’m using the gel kind because I am a bit clumsy with drips. The gel doesn’t drip like the liquid. I apply it to the hole and to one end of the paperclip. I like to use the pliers here to keep my fingers out of the glue. Sometimes I need them to force the clip into the hole.

When using gel superglue, I hold the wire with pliers.


Lastly, I’ve attached all the pieces. I like to let them sit for an hour or more before touching them. Superglue fingers are not fun. When they dry they’ll be ready for epoxy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

Performance Bases with Kinetic Sand

I am getting ready for the Save The Tigers Model Horse Show on Saturday, and I thought I'd spiff up my performance entries a little with arena bases. My goals here were to keep to a small budget and a manageable size.

For the first one, I found a wall hanging at Walmart—a picture frame without glass or a matte for about $5.00. I removed the hook from the back so it would lie flat on the table and a clip from the front. I also found a 3 lb. bag of kinetic sand for $13.00. (Regular sand can be done, but I usually make a mess of it.) Honestly, I'm a little worried about sand scratching my models, but it does look neat.

The fence is made of hobby wood (the small Popsicle sticks) and is removable for easy, flat storage. It stands 1 3/4 inches above the edge of the arena. Just a note, I steer clear of balsa wood because it is so fragile.






 The second base I made was a little more work, and cost about the same because I had some scrap wood at home. I purchased a piece of craft plywoo…

Throwback Thursday

This little mule sports a roached mane and a bell tail—both made with soft hair. I think I might’ve started with Native Dancer (my favorite G1 mold). He’s been airbrushed and sprayed with Krylon. He was painted on my patio in San Diego where the weather was almost-always perfect for airbrushing outside.