Skip to main content

Copy Cat Custom Project (Number Thirteen)


I have (finally) completed my Copy Cat Custom Model! I began working on her in January of 2019. And I have a few excuses as to why she took 10 months...


Copy Cat Custom Arabian Mare "Kitty"
Excuse #1 was that my OF model was in bad shape with goofy legs, and she had no texture in her mane and tail.
Excuse #2: I had to go to the art store and buy not one, but three, Pan Pastels in Neutral Grey.

Excuse #3 I don't usually paint light dapple grays. I tend toward darker ones. So I had to practice on an Alborozo.
(And spend the day at the beach)
Here she is will a little epoxy helping her out.
The challenge included a bow.


So I've named her Kitty after the contest. She sports a little green bow and a little attitude. I'm looking forward to showing her at her first show this weekend!





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

Performance Bases with Kinetic Sand

I am getting ready for the Save The Tigers Model Horse Show on Saturday, and I thought I'd spiff up my performance entries a little with arena bases. My goals here were to keep to a small budget and a manageable size.

For the first one, I found a wall hanging at Walmart—a picture frame without glass or a matte for about $5.00. I removed the hook from the back so it would lie flat on the table and a clip from the front. I also found a 3 lb. bag of kinetic sand for $13.00. (Regular sand can be done, but I usually make a mess of it.) Honestly, I'm a little worried about sand scratching my models, but it does look neat.

The fence is made of hobby wood (the small Popsicle sticks) and is removable for easy, flat storage. It stands 1 3/4 inches above the edge of the arena. Just a note, I steer clear of balsa wood because it is so fragile.






 The second base I made was a little more work, and cost about the same because I had some scrap wood at home. I purchased a piece of craft plywoo…

Throwback Thursday

This little mule sports a roached mane and a bell tail—both made with soft hair. I think I might’ve started with Native Dancer (my favorite G1 mold). He’s been airbrushed and sprayed with Krylon. He was painted on my patio in San Diego where the weather was almost-always perfect for airbrushing outside.