Skip to main content

American Cream Draft WIP

I’m working on an American Cream Draft Horse. He is part resin and part Breyer... so I’m not sure how I’ll show him. The head and neck were a gift from Maggie Bennet—she noticed that I was wearing a name tag at Breyerfest 2018 and gave me a Stablemate casting of a drafter head and neck. 

I chose the G4 Vaulting Horse for the Body. I like this mold, but prefer the feet be more underneath the body. So a few leg changes, hoof fixes, and new hindquarters and he’s coming along. This breed often sports a long tail, so that was sculpted separately and is in the process of being finished,

Where the mane changes color is where the resin and Breyer meet.

Not one to waste a cute face, the Drafter head is on a Gypsy Vanner body... lots of work needed.
And the Vanner head is on an Alborozo... the Alborozo head is on a Dungaree...

I’ve been making a little progress in prepping this guy:

Here’s the model with his Breyer half... the Vaulting Horse


Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

Performance Bases with Kinetic Sand

I am getting ready for the Save The Tigers Model Horse Show on Saturday, and I thought I'd spiff up my performance entries a little with arena bases. My goals here were to keep to a small budget and a manageable size.

For the first one, I found a wall hanging at Walmart—a picture frame without glass or a matte for about $5.00. I removed the hook from the back so it would lie flat on the table and a clip from the front. I also found a 3 lb. bag of kinetic sand for $13.00. (Regular sand can be done, but I usually make a mess of it.) Honestly, I'm a little worried about sand scratching my models, but it does look neat.

The fence is made of hobby wood (the small Popsicle sticks) and is removable for easy, flat storage. It stands 1 3/4 inches above the edge of the arena. Just a note, I steer clear of balsa wood because it is so fragile.

 The second base I made was a little more work, and cost about the same because I had some scrap wood at home. I purchased a piece of craft plywoo…

Throwback Thursday

This little mule sports a roached mane and a bell tail—both made with soft hair. I think I might’ve started with Native Dancer (my favorite G1 mold). He’s been airbrushed and sprayed with Krylon. He was painted on my patio in San Diego where the weather was almost-always perfect for airbrushing outside.