Skip to main content

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty

Ganache is a custom Valegro with a new tail, hooves and tiny changes to the legs (by Sarah Tregay)

Do you remember when the Valegro and Andalusian Stablemate models hit the shelves? It was the summer of 2016 and I had just discovered a new location of a small toy store chain in Boise... so I had to go in! I bought three of each model. I started customizing them that week. This one's tail sort of fell off in my hand so it went on to find a new home and this one had a new tail sculpted.

Long story short, he sat around for years in plain white primer. Then with this personal challenge of actually finishing the models I started, I got him out of his pony pouch. I knew the real Valegro looks great in bay, I chose to paint him bay as well.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Five

I have been remiss on posting finished models for my personal challenge of finishing one hundred models (instead of starting something new.) As you may have noticed, I’ve started a new model with wire mesh as part of the mane and tail... so many wonderful horsey distractions!
Meet Encore! He is a custom from the G3 rearing Andalusian. This is one of two models in a bow that started with this mold. I found the mold a little tricky to work with because of his pose. When tamed into a new pose, however, he’s quite the sweetie!

Encore has been on my workbench for about five years. My friend, Karen Prescott, began two bowing models at the same time and they were completed a long time ago.


I chose bay roan for this guy, a color that can be painted many ways with many mediums. I chose a pastel base coat and pastel pencils. I purchased two brands and ended up using them both because they dulled quickly. I drew on many tiny hairs, then sprayed with Testors Dull Coat, and repeated the process. …

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday Percheron and Clydesdale Comparison