Skip to main content

National Retro Vintage Month (NaReViMo)

Meet Harlem Road, an American Saddlebred Stallion!

 

I'm doing National Retro Vintage Month (NaReViMo)! Every August artists come together (on Facebook) to complete one custom in the vintage or retro custom style. Hosted by Sarah Minkiewicz- Breunig, the group can be found here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/694618414328297

My project is a G1 Saddlebred, a mold that has always made me smile ever since I discovered Stablemates in the late 1980's. (And is also on my website's list of Stablemate molds in need of a custom: https://sarahtregay.com/smmolds.html

I've moved the head a little bit, replaced the ears and added to the tail. Right now I'm in the prepping stage:

G1 ASB in progress


I'm trying out an old technique that I used to make new ears around 1990. I was an industrial design major at RIT and as part of the program we made models of products out of plastic. The plastic started out as flat sheets and could be heated to form different shapes.

 

I used this plastic to make mule ears on this vintage Traditional-scale girl:

Long story short, what a great way to celebrate NaReViMo than digging up an old technique. Here is the much smaller ears glued into a cut in the neck:

 

I'm planning on trying a little handpainting with acrylics to finish up this model. More soon!

Painting on mapping in acrylics

I’m revisiting some old ideas for this paint job. First up is creating the mapping and cat tracks by painting them the color of the markings which is black. My model is inspired by a stallion named Snowy Harlem. http://www.snowyharlem.com/media.


Mapping knocked back

The second step for the mapping was to spray it with primer. Here I used Duplicolor white to fade the mapping and spots.

Starting to paint


Handpainting with acrylics was both fun and little frustrating. Pastels blend easier and don't dry before I'm done. This challenge was wonderful. I was inspired by the other artist's work and dedication. A huge thank you to the group and Sarah Minkiewicz-Breunig for making it happen!
 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Five

I have been remiss on posting finished models for my personal challenge of finishing one hundred models (instead of starting something new.) As you may have noticed, I’ve started a new model with wire mesh as part of the mane and tail... so many wonderful horsey distractions!
Meet Encore! He is a custom from the G3 rearing Andalusian. This is one of two models in a bow that started with this mold. I found the mold a little tricky to work with because of his pose. When tamed into a new pose, however, he’s quite the sweetie!

Encore has been on my workbench for about five years. My friend, Karen Prescott, began two bowing models at the same time and they were completed a long time ago.


I chose bay roan for this guy, a color that can be painted many ways with many mediums. I chose a pastel base coat and pastel pencils. I purchased two brands and ended up using them both because they dulled quickly. I drew on many tiny hairs, then sprayed with Testors Dull Coat, and repeated the process. …

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday Percheron and Clydesdale Comparison