Skip to main content

One Hundred Horses: Number Eight

Figaro a Lusitano Stallion by Sarah Tregay.

Figaro
  Number Eight is Figaro, a grulla Lusitano stallion. I tried out some new art supplies with him.

First I put down a basecoat of Rust-Oleum 2x paint plus primer that I had used before (https://customminimodelhorses.blogspot.com/2018/06/rust-oleum-painters-touch-paint-primer.html). Next I got out my new Pan pastel color Raw Umber 780.5, which reminds me of the color of a horse that has rolled in the mud and it has dried.


But... I was able to get a grulla tone with this, not just mud.

Pan pastel 780.5 Raw Umber and Fossil Paint + Primer worked well together.

The next new item was a cheap craft paint that I bought to save time in mixing up a chocolaty brown for eye color. It wasn't successful because there was very little pigment in the paint, even after stirring it. I purchased it to save time, not to waste time with many layers.

Craft paint that didn't work for me because it was too transparent.

Brown paint didn't cover the white paint underneath.
This craft paint worked well for Figaro's small snip.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.

     First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.
     Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.
    Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade.

So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a place in my s…

Performance Bases with Kinetic Sand

I am getting ready for the Save The Tigers Model Horse Show on Saturday, and I thought I'd spiff up my performance entries a little with arena bases. My goals here were to keep to a small budget and a manageable size.

For the first one, I found a wall hanging at Walmart—a picture frame without glass or a matte for about $5.00. I removed the hook from the back so it would lie flat on the table and a clip from the front. I also found a 3 lb. bag of kinetic sand for $13.00. (Regular sand can be done, but I usually make a mess of it.) Honestly, I'm a little worried about sand scratching my models, but it does look neat.

The fence is made of hobby wood (the small Popsicle sticks) and is removable for easy, flat storage. It stands 1 3/4 inches above the edge of the arena. Just a note, I steer clear of balsa wood because it is so fragile.






 The second base I made was a little more work, and cost about the same because I had some scrap wood at home. I purchased a piece of craft plywoo…

Throwback Thursday

This little mule sports a roached mane and a bell tail—both made with soft hair. I think I might’ve started with Native Dancer (my favorite G1 mold). He’s been airbrushed and sprayed with Krylon. He was painted on my patio in San Diego where the weather was almost-always perfect for airbrushing outside.