Skip to main content

Rust-Oleum Products Experiment

Breyer Custom Minis completed with Rust-Oleum Products, Pastels, and acrylic paint.

Rust-Oleum has been one of my go-to brands of supplies over the years. I use the 2X Ultra Cover white primer on almost every model I customize, plus one of my favorite sprays—Testors Dullcoat —is made by Rust-Oleum.

So I thought I'd do a little experiment and try some other Rust-Oleum products for two different phases of pastelling customs: first, for the basecoat color under the pastels, and second for the fixative spray between the layers and/or final coat.

The two basecoat colors I chose were Satin Ivory Silk and Satin Fossil.

PROS: The paint can be applied directly to a well-sanded, prepped Breyer or over primer.
I think the colors of these paints were lovely places to start a horsey-toned paint job. The Ivory Silk color seems like it would be great for buckskins, palominos, sorrels and bays, whereas the Fossil was less warm/yellow and more of a neutral brown for grullas and some bays and buckskins.
They were affordable, about $4.00 each, and easy to find at Home Depot.

Dapple Buckskin with Ivory Silk basecoat
Grulla with Fossil basecoat
CONS: The paint takes longer to dry than primer. If it isn't dry it can fingerprint. Several light coats might help with even drying, as well as waiting many hours before pastelling the horse.
The paint doesn't like cold days. (Or humid ones, see above.) I just moved to Michigan, so we have lots of these. Painting on a cold day got me an uneven coat... I deserved that.
The paint surface doesn't accept pastel dust as evenly as primer alone. (Especially if the model needed a little bath because, oops it didn't look so hot on the first attempt.) I would recommend a coat of your favorite matte spray before pastelling.

The other product I tried was 2X Matte Clear.

In my opinion this was more of a semi-gloss than a matte, but depending on the model it might be the perfect finish... and that's just where I would use it—as the finish layer.  It seems to be durable—the model has been out to his outdoor photoshoot at the barn and didn't come home covered in rubs.
The Matte Clear didn't work for me as a spray between layers of pastel because the pastel dust seemed to slide right off the model instead of "grip" in place. As a result, his dapples are very fine and detailed, a delightful outcome!
I also found this spray very smelly and would only use it outdoors or with a fume hood.

Pastelled model with Fossil basecoat and Matte Clear used throughout pastelling, including finish coat for a show-ring shine.
As an artist, new tools and products can be the next best thing, or something we try once. For me, I'm thinking I'll keep these three sprays in mind when I'm working on models in the future.


Popular posts from this blog

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.      First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.      Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.     Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade. So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a plac

One Hundred Horses: Number Twenty-Five

I have been remiss on posting finished models for my personal challenge of finishing one hundred models (instead of starting something new.) As you may have noticed, I’ve started a new model with wire mesh as part of the mane and tail... so many wonderful horsey distractions! Meet Encore! He is a custom from the G3 rearing Andalusian. This is one of two models in a bow that started with this mold. I found the mold a little tricky to work with because of his pose. When tamed into a new pose, however, he’s quite the sweetie! Encore is a red roan taking a bow. CM by Sarah Tregay. Encore has been on my workbench for about five years. My friend, Karen Prescott, began two bowing models at the same time and they were completed a long time ago. I chose bay roan for this guy, a color that can be painted many ways with many mediums. I chose a pastel base coat and pastel pencils. I purchased two brands and ended up using them both because they dulled quickly. I drew on many tiny

A Golden bay in Pan Pastels

I thought I'd share a bit of my process. I'm working in Pan Pastels. The model in question is a simple custom Morgan Stallion from the new standing Stablemate Warmblood mold. He has had some work done on his barrel and hindquarters. His mane and tail have been changed as well.  I prepped him with Rustoleum 2X primer in white and taped off some white markings with blue painters tape. Feel free to follow along and paint your own golden bay or liver chestnut.  A Pan Pastel Project Art Supplies Shopping list: A model with sanded seams and logo removed 400 Grit Sandpaper Masking or painters tape (optional) Rustolem 2X Primer Pan Pastels: 280.3 Orange Shade, 820.2 Neutral Grey Extra Dark (or other neutral grey), Layer 3: 740.3 Burnt Sienna Shade, 740.1 Burnt Sienna Extra Dark, 800.5 Black. Pan Pastel optional colors for shading mane, tail, and white markings: Optional fleshy pink pastel or paint for a pink nose or shading white markings. Krylon Matte, Testor's Dullcote, or other