Skip to main content


Showing posts from October, 2020

New Table in the Studio!

  My workspace is clean because I got a new table! The Barnes and Noble where I work is getting new furniture so I got to take this one home. My hubby sanded and refinished the work surface for me.

A Fleabitten Gray and Magnifying Lamp

My latest project is a Darley custom in fleabitten gray with a bloody shoulder. This mold is a pleasure to resculpt and paint—so many delicious details to highlight! My custom has a few changes to the legs, neck, face, mane and tail, but all are small in scope.  Aven Optiview 5D LED desk lamp My latest studio addition is a magnifying lamp because I am not as young as I was when I started customizing and neither are my eyeballs. I’ve used prescription glasses, reading glasses, head lamps, and my natural vision to work on models, but I thought I’d add another tool to my chest. I chose an Aven Optiview 5D LED desk lamp. It has a 4 inch lens which works well with minis. I like the enlarged view of the horses (about 225%) and feel that I have enough room to work underneath the lamp. Breyer Stablemate under my 5D magnifying lamp I’m painting the Darley custom fleabitten gray and the lamp is the perfect tool for the project. Flea bites are small on a real horse, and even more tiny on a mini!

Eeek! It's October First Already (ICEE)

 As usual, I was not on the ball. The International Custom Equine Event is a fall "event is to motivate artists and non-artists if all skill levels to challenge themselves in a supportive community to customize a model in 2 months, October AND November (61 days)." An thank goodness the sign-up was extended to today. For more information, visit My project is going to be a Breyer Stablemate Indian Pony to a mule. I'll probably keep her gait the same and focus on the details that will make her a sweet little molly named Lacie (named after my inspiration). Check out this beautiful girl: I'm thinking I might try my plastic ears that I did on my Vintage Custom Challenge ASB. More soon! Wow, this little mare is a tricky one to work on... her cannon bones, heels, and neck didn’t match up to my references at all. And then there’s the new ears! I hope this is progress, but I’m not 100% certain. Take a lo