Skip to main content

Sculpting with Wire Mesh


I hope everyone is safe and healthy during these difficult times. I’m saddened that we won’t be gathering for spring live shows and this summer’s Breyerfest. I’m going to miss getting together with amazing friends in Michigan, Ohio and Kentucky. Until things change, thanks to everyone sharing their corner of the hobby world online!

I needed a creative jolt to get me out of a quarantine funk, so I opened up my package of sculpting mesh. My victim is a Paralympic Driving horse that will become a Fjord custom. Harald, my previous Fjord, is from the same mold. His mane was a challenge for me because of the upright nature of it... so the contour mesh.

Look for fine sculpting mesh at stores or online art-supply vendors.

Slot along crest of neck cut with small miter saw.
First, I cut a slot along the crest. This will hold the mesh in place. Then I cut a piece of mesh to fit. I left plenty of extra that I will trim and shape later. Scissors cut the mesh just fine, but please be careful of sharp edges and scraps.
Wire mesh placed in slot. Note plenty of extra mesh.
I then superglued the mesh in place.
For the tail I started with 16 gage steel wire.
With a sharpie, I marked how long I wanted it to be (from base of tailbone to the hock if hanging straight down). Then, leaving plenty of extra wire, I cut it. I also cut a random piece of wire mesh.

Pieces of the tail.
Mesh folded over wire to start a tail shape.

Shaped and trimmed with scissors.
Side view before I superglued the two together.
Progress so far...
After the glue had time to cure (I always wait a hour or more because I hate superglue on my fingers).  I mixed up some two-part epoxy. I’m using white Magic Sculpt. First I coated one side of the mesh in a layer of epoxy.
Underside of wire-mesh tail with epoxy added.

Shaping underside of tail.

For the mane, I trimmed the mesh to be the length of the center (black) portion. I added epoxy to that as well. The horse now has a hole in her hindquarters where the tail will be glued in place. (I have more sculpting and sanding to do before I glue it.)

Mane trimmed to shape. One side has epoxy on it.

Epoxy over wire on one side only. Working one side at a time keeps me from mushing the details.
At this point the tail is not attached to the body. This gave made it easier to sculpt and sand both the tail and the hindquarters, although I didn’t want to work on the tailbone area of the tail too much.


After three sculpting sessions (with dry time in between) the wire mesh is covered.
Since I’m experimenting with armatures to assist with the sculpting, I thought I’d try tiny armature wires for feathers and the forelock. And things are looking pretty silly...


QUICK TIPS:
1. Sand tail and hindquarters before attaching the tail. You can even file the wire mesh.
2. Adjust the height of tail to match speed (or a breeze) by bending the wire part.
3. Choose gel super glue. (So it doesn’t drip into those hard-to-sand areas on the hind legs.)


This gel superglue blob is going to be easier to clean up than a drip.
Folded paper “ruler”
QUICK TIP 2: Sketching on your model is perfect for planning where sculpting should go.

Fjord manes are perfect for showcasing creativity. I’m going to try a pinking shears pattern on this girl. To divide the mane into even sections, I cut a piece of paper and folded it over on itself several times. Then I marked the folds so I could see them. Holding the paper up, I transferred the marks to the horse. This made my design easier to draw on both sides.

Sketch of mane design.
Adding a second layer of mane to one side, this layer has a design cut to shape with Exacto knife.

Added texture to geometric part of the mane.

Wire armature on the forelock.




Wire mesh? I will be using it again! I liked how I was able to reposition the mesh while I was sculpting with the epoxy. I could also trim it when it was covered in epoxy. The mesh held the epoxy securely, unlike a wire armature where the epoxy can slide off the wire. I also feel that the wire mesh will aid in a long life for any model. It won’t age like masking tape or crumble like baking powder concoctions. It will add to the strength of a mane or tail that might get bumped on a show table.

Wire mesh? Is it without issues? Nope. I did sand through the epoxy in a few areas and exposed the mesh. Some of my sculpting was lumpy at first... because of the mesh pattern. And the edges are pokey!

Overall? I’ll be adding wire mesh to my customizer’s toolbox.



Tansy, the finished mare.





Comments

Popular Posts

New Pan Pastels - An Update

A little while back I posted a photo of my new Pan Pastel colors. I've gotten a chance to use them, and have found them quite handy.      First, these colors are all useful—which is not something I say about many of the Pan Pastel colors because they are not all well suited for horses. The orange shade looks a little odd at first, but once it's part of the coat it softens to a nice, bright addition to chestnuts, palominos, buckskins and bays. I think of is as more of a golden tone than orange when the model is finished.      Second, they are easy to use—no sandpaper palette needed, no huge-jar-o-dust waiting to spill. The pans work with both paintbrushes and Microbrush applicators for small details like leg bars and dorsal stripes.     Third, the colors work well together and blend well. For example, on this model I used the Burnt Sienna Extra Dark to deepen a few areas I had dusted with the Burnt Sienna Shade. So... these new Pan Pastel colors definitely have a plac

A Golden bay in Pan Pastels

I thought I'd share a bit of my process. I'm working in Pan Pastels. The model in question is a simple custom Morgan Stallion from the new standing Stablemate Warmblood mold. He has had some work done on his barrel and hindquarters. His mane and tail have been changed as well.  I prepped him with Rustoleum 2X primer in white and taped off some white markings with blue painters tape. Feel free to follow along and paint your own golden bay or liver chestnut.  A Pan Pastel Project Art Supplies Shopping list: A model with sanded seams and logo removed 400 Grit Sandpaper Masking or painters tape (optional) Rustolem 2X Primer Pan Pastels: 280.3 Orange Shade, 820.2 Neutral Grey Extra Dark (or other neutral grey), Layer 3: 740.3 Burnt Sienna Shade, 740.1 Burnt Sienna Extra Dark, 800.5 Black. Pan Pastel optional colors for shading mane, tail, and white markings: Optional fleshy pink pastel or paint for a pink nose or shading white markings. Krylon Matte, Testor's Dullcote, or other

(Almost) Wordless Wednesday Percheron and Clydesdale Comparison

I've been thinking about customizing some draft horses... so I went out to the pasture to do a little research. Please pardon the dirt. Pete, on the left, is a Percheron gelding. Titan, his best buddy, is a bay roan Clydesdale gelding. Pete has more width and bulk, while Titan is leggier and more narrow. Here I even noticed the difference in their faces—see the how the distance between their eyes are different, as well as from eye to nostril. Titan's tail is naturally long, whereas Pete's has been docked. Notice the different shaped hindquarters. A custom mini model horse inspired by Pete