![]() |
| Here I tried a new art supply. Model not for sale. |
As an artist, I enjoy sharing my work. And if I get a little positive feedback, it feels nice. Maybe a model I painted won a ribbon at a show, was given as a gift to a loved one, or was purchased by a happy customer.
But sometimes there isn't any feedback, positive or otherwise. Sometimes a model in my shop (https://sarahtregay.com/shop.html) doesn't sell. This can be a learning opportunity. Is the color wrong for the breed? Are the markings too plain? Has everyone already seen that mold in that color? So the next time I reach for a model to paint, I can choose a different mold, a different color, a different pattern. I can try again.
It can be easy for artists to fall into the trap we see with OF Breyers in the wild—that palomino Family Arabian Stallion with no ears and so may rubs you can't tell what is yellow plastic and what is the paint—for $100! It's a Breyer! It must be worth money! Or in the artist's case, I did something to a Breyer! It must be worth money! Unfortunately, neither of these situations are true.
For an artist to succeed, they must build skills. Most of the time, this means models that end up taking a bath or getting tossed back in the body box. That's okay. It's part of the process. The artist can try again.
For artists that seek to sell their work, they need to find that magic place where their product meets their customers. For some, this is sculpting on the computer and printing models, for others this is painting Breyers in rainbow colors. Finding the right price is key. A new artist seeking to establish themselves might price models on the low end, while established artists with a following will add a zero to that price tag. The amazing thing about our hobby is the sheer number of places where a creator and a customer can love the same thing! If an artist hasn't found their niche just yet, they can try again.
![]() |
| The contents of my body box is almost endless. |


Comments
Post a Comment